Local Chicken!

I just picked up four local chickens from Beth and Kerry Olson of B & K Natural Farm, located in Sutherlin.  They have a sign-up sheet at their booth at the Umpqua Valley Farmers Market.  You put down how many whole chickens you would like and they call you when they are ready to butcher them, once or twice-a- month.  You pick them up at from the Olsons in the parking lot next to Kruse Farms.

They also have packages of frozen ground turkey and two-packs of turkey drumsticks for sale.

I put three chickens in the freezer and refrigerated one to roast in my slow cooker tomorrow or Sunday.  I'm going to make meatballs out of the ground turkey for dinner tonight.

They only sell the chickens whole, so if you want parts, you'll have to cut them up yourself.  Not that difficult with a sharp knife.  Check out my post on Thrifty Chicken for ideas on getting the most out of one bird.

The whole chickens are $2.50 per pound and range from three to over five pounds per bird.  The ground turkey is $4.00/lb. and the turkey drumsticks are a dollar a piece in packages of two.

I think I will try canning some chicken this fall.

We are lucky to have hormone-free, antibiotic-free, humanely-raised poultry available in our area.  Folks are finally catching on and the Olsons said they have a hard time keeping up with demand now.  That's progress!

Popular Posts