Kruse Farms Opened Today

I didn't make it in yet, but Kruse Farms opened today. If you've had a hankering for a locally-made pie, their bakery should be up and running.

Regarding opening day of the Umpqua Valley Farmers Market, I checked in with some of my favorite growers and here's what I learned:

Jim Leet of Linnea Marie Farms (he's the farmers market president, too) will have his Zesty lettuce mix, tender asparagus, herb plants for your garden and some catnip toys and lavender sachets. The produce supply is limited, so get there early if you want some. If you haven't tried my Cream of Asparagus soup yet, now is your chance. I noticed today that Sherm's has the white balsamic vinegar called for in the recipe. I'm still working on the bottle I bought at Trader Joe's, but I'm sure the Napoleon brand is good too.

Christine, from Sterken Farm, says they will have all of their jams, fruit bars, salsa, dried fruits, juice and beauty products, along with shelled walnuts and hazelnuts, green onions, eggs, possibly some asparagus, and strawberry and raspberry plants for sale. Lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage will be coming on shortly. Their covered, raised beds give them a jumpstart on the season.

I'll also be on the lookout for arugula, green garlic stalks, and red onion from other vendors and I am hoping The Baklava Lady will be there with her spanakopita and feta tarts.

I'll be scoping out the possibilities for Mother's Day gifts (for my mom and hints for myself) from the craft vendors and if Smokin' Friday's BBQ is there, I will definitely be ordering a breakfast burrito. Oh, and I hope my favorite flower vendors are there!

The market opens at 9:00 am with live music, prize drawings and always a few surprises.

Popular Posts