Raspberries are Ready

Raspberries are ripe and ready this week. Jim Leet of Linnea Marie Farm (tan canopy) at the Umpqua Valley Farmers Market has a good supply, but get there early on Saturday morning. I picked 10 pounds at The Berry Patch ($1.00/lb. u-pick or $13.50 for a 5 lb. flat, picked). Kruse Farms also has raspberries.

I canned 7 pints of jewel-colored juice to make Raspberry Lemonade. I only break it out on special occasions--4th of July, family celebrations, Labor Day picnic--and if we're lucky there will be one jar left for Memorial Day next year. Then it's time to make a new batch!

I'll pick more next week to make Old-Fashioned Raspberry Jam, Raspberry Vinegar, and of course to freeze some for smoothies and pancake topping all year long. I use the vinegar in a delicious Berry Vinaigrette salad dressing and in another refreshing, hot-weather drink, Raspberry Shrub.

Popular Posts