Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Local Hazelnuts (filberts) are ready!

Hazelnuts (filberts) are ready at Norm Lehne Garden & Orchard in Garden Valley. I bought a 10 lb. sack this morning and had Norm run them through the cracker for me. After I get them all shelled, some will be blanched, toasted and chopped to be added to a green salad for our Think Local Umpqua benefit dinner and concert this Friday. The rest will go into the freezer for winter baking and snacking. I might even try my hand at making some Nutella-style chocolate-hazelnut spread!

3 comments:

Eugenia said...

Good to know! I bet the Nutella-like-substance would be so delicious. Please keep us posted!

PS. The brownies look amazing -- I can't show them to my husband, or else I'll have to bake...

Pink Posts said...

Oh, that is so cool! I'll have to find out how much it costs to buy a bag. That would be so great! The harvest is so much fun.

Jennifer said...

They cost $15.00 for a 10 lb. sack. I sorted the shells out of the whole bag last night and the yield was 4 lb. 4 oz. nutmeats, which means they cost $3.53/lb--way less than at the store and these are local and so fresh! Really didn't take very long either. I did it while I was watching TV. I think I'll go get another sack early next week.

Printfriendly