Oven Home Fries with Yukon Fingerlings

 Golden brown fingerling potatoes with 
crispy sweet red onion bits.

I'm still working my way through the 50 pound box of Yukon fingerlings I bought at Kruse Farms last fall.  They have kept just fine in their cardboard box covered with a blanket in my garage. This is my new favorite way to serve them. It's so simple!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Scrub well and remove any large eyes from the potatoes. Slice in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into half-inch pieces. Dice about half of a large red onion ( I bought my Big Lick Farm red onion at Umpqua Local Goods).  Combine the potatoes and onion and toss with 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to coat well. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and toss again. Spread the mixture out in a single layer. You don't want the potatoes steaming on top of each other; you want the outsides to get browned and crispy. Be sure to use a shallow baking pan for the same reason.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until potatoes are tender when pierced and golden brown on the outside. The onion pieces will turn dark and crispy and become oh so sweet. Serve immediately.

You can toss everything together right
on the shallow baking pan.

Popular Posts