Lehne's is now open for picking


Today was opening day at Norm Lehne Garden & Orchard.  A friend and I showed up just after 7:30 am to pick Red Haven peaches.  They don't actually open until 8:00 am, but we were the second in line waiting our turn to get into the orchard.  By the time Norm unlocked the gate there was a line of a dozen cars behind us.

Norm said (in last night's email) that it was going to be a light crop.  I think the entire two rows were picked clean within a half hour.  I forget how many pounds Cinda weighed for me, but counting the six peaches we have eaten since I got home (Kevin and I had big, juicy bowls of them and I made us each a Peach Lassi for breakfast) and the six I gave away to my dad, I picked about 60 peaches.  Perfect Peach Pie is definitely on the menu for Sunday dinner!

I also picked enough yellow wax beans, Romano beans, slender zucchini, crook-neck squash, and red beets to keep us in fresh veggies for a few days.

Slender Blue Lake beans

Norm says Suncrest peaches will be ready in a week and a half or so.  You can sign up to get on his email list if you check out his website.

Popular Posts