Squash Blossoms and Other Culinary Adventures at the Market

John Riggs at the farmers market had one last basket of baby zucchini with blossoms attached this morning. I have been curious to try stuffing them-I'm thinking a mixture of candied tomatoes (from my freezer), some type of cheese, finely minced shallots and herbs--we'll see. Traditionally they are deep-fried, but I think I will try dipping them in egg and breadcrumbs and then baking or sauteeing them. I never deep-fry anything.

I still don't know whether it's Romanesco broccoli or cauliflower--I've heard it called both; googling it seems to favor cauliflower--but it's so unusual-looking that I can never resist buying it.

The blue potatoes are supposed to be deep blue all the way through and Jim Leet recommends them, along with the reds and Yukon golds, for a Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad for the Fourth of July.

And I'm not a big onion-lover, but I bought a Walla Walla sweet onion just for the heck of it.

Didn't buy any flowers today, as the bouquet of Canterbury Bells I bought last week is still looking fine.

Popular Posts