Kitchen Sink Frittata

I rarely serve eggs for breakfast, but since we have access to such wonderful local eggs at the farmers market, I like to serve them as the main dish for dinner on occasion. I bought two dozen eggs from Kerry Olson of B & K Natural Farm (located in Sutherlin) last Saturday. Tonight I needed to clean out the refrigerator, so I thought I'd use up as many odds and ends as I could in a frittata.

This recipe can be adapted to whatever you have on hand. Here's what I had to work with...

1 small zucchini
half a small jar of candied tomatoes in olive oil
a few kalamata olives and slices of fresh mozzarella
a small red onion
half an avocado
8 farm fresh eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk the eggs together with about 2 tablespoons water. I used half an eggshell filled twice--why get a spoon dirty when you don't have to?

Heat a 10-inch ovenproof saute pan on medium heat. Cover the bottom of the pan with olive oil (I used about 2 tablespoons drained from the candied tomatoes). Slice the onion very finely and saute in the oil until transparent and a bit browned.

Meanwhile, dice the zucchini. When the onion is done, add the zucchini to the pan and cook for a minute or two. Don't overcook it! It's going to finish cooking in the oven.

Pour the eggs into the pan and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the top with the olives (halved), the mozzarella, and bite-sized pieces of the tomatoes.

Place the pan in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the eggs are set. Garnish with avocado slices and one tomato in the center. Cut into wedges to serve. Serves 4.

Popular Posts