May Baking Classes

Hello fellow bakers!

2018 got off to an uncertain start and I was afraid to schedule any classes for fear of having to cancel at the last minute. Things have settled down and I am ready to roll.

I've got a sourdough class and a pie crust class on the calendar in May and I am putting together a class on baking with whole grains, including milling your own flour, for June. I've set up a way to pay for classes online, if that is your preference. You can also just mail me a check, but due to limited space in the classes, I must receive payment before I can confirm your spot.

A Simple Sourdough
Friday, May 11
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Class fee: $45


Learn to bake crusty sourdough bread in your home oven! We'll be mixing and baking hearth loaves using just flour, water, salt, and a small amount of starter. Beautiful, simple bread made entirely by hand, no mixer or kneading necessary. I’ll cover everything you need to know including proper fermentation, gluten development, shaping, proofing, scoring, and maintaining your sourdough starter. You’ll get hands on practice with your own loaf and we'll use several different steaming methods to produce a crackling crust. You'll leave the class with a loaf of bread, a jar of starter, a detailed recipe and the confidence to bake outstanding artisan bread on your own.

Perfect Pie Crusts
Friday, May 18
10:00 am - noon
Class fee: $45


Just in time for berry season! Learn to bake a perfect, flaky pie crust in this hands on class. Each participant will be rolling out their own all-butter crust to take home. I'll demo several pies from start to finish and we'll have plenty to sample. This class will cover fruit pies, blind-baking crusts for cream pies, and a savory chicken pot pie. I'll share all of the tips and tricks I've learned since I baked my first pie as a teenager. If you've ever been intimidated by making a pie crust from scratch, this is the class for you.

All classes are taught in my home in Garden Valley -- good thing I have four ovens! Email me if you want to pay by check and I will send you my address. If you want to pay online, click here.

Happy baking!

Popular Posts