Lunch at the OHSU Farmers Market

I've been in Portland for the past week, with one brief trip home to Roseburg for clean clothes and to see my husband and son.  My mom had open heart surgery at OHSU and it looks like I will be up here for at least a few more days.  I've spent the majority of my time in the ICU or surgical waiting room and now I'm camped out during the day with my iPhone and netbook in my mom's room.

As always, I'm on the look out for anything related to good food. I have been pleasantly surprised by the hospital food so far.  I've been able to make several good main dish salads in the cafeteria with baby greens, carrots, hard-boiled egg, edamame, and sunflower seeds dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Tonight I ordered Caribbean black beans with basmati rice, baked plantains, and steamed asparagus from the "room service" menu so I could eat with my mom and dad and, hey, it wasn't half bad, though it could have used a bit more salt. I haven't seen any Jello anywhere!

I spied a flyer about a farmers market here on the OHSU campus on Tuesdays and knew I'd have to escape the confines of the hospital to check it out.  My brother and I decided to see what they had in the way of lunch offerings and we were not disappointed.  I opted for a crepe filled with turkey, cranberry-pear relish, Tillamook cheese, and organic greens from the C'est Si Bon booth.  Delicious!  My brother went for a Middle Eastern platter of hummus, falafel, and tabouleh.  We both headed for the Scoop Handmade Ice Cream stand for dessert.  Dave had the salted caramel ice cream.  I was hoping to try the dark chocolate-marionberry sorbet, but they were out.  I went with an organic strawberry and balsamic popsicle instead and it was very refreshing on a blisteringly hot afternoon.

 A few photos...








Popular Posts