Oodles of Noodles

I made whole wheat egg noodles to put in my turkey carcass soup today.  I followed the recipe I posted a few years ago, but I ground fresh flour from soft white wheatberries for these noodles.

Would you look at the color of those egg yolks?  I've been getting eggs from a hiking friend and they are excellent.
 

After kneading by hand for about 10 minutes, the dough looks like this.

I cut the dough ball into 9 pieces and ran each one through my hand-crank pasta machine, working my way from level one to level 6.  (I think level 7 makes the noodles too thin.)

Each time you run it through, the dough gets longer, thinner and wider.

The noodles cut more easily and don't stick together if you let the final sheets dry for 10 or 15 minutes on a floured board before putting them through the blades.

I separate the strands and lay them in soft bundles on my dehydrator racks to dry.  They will dry overnight without heat, but I set the temperature at 115 degrees and they were brittle in less than an hour.

Ready for the soup pot!  Because there is so little moisture left in the noodles, they should keep fine in bags or jars at room temperature (and they are going to be boiled, anyway!), but with all those raw eggs, I like to store them in the freezer just to be safe.

Popular Posts