Great Opening Day

When the sun was out it was warm and beautiful.  When the clouds got in the way it was downright chilly.  Either way, the opening day of the Umpqua Valley Farmers Market looked to be a great success.

My son and I arrived about 9:15 and headed straight to see Judy, The Baklava Lady.  She was already sold out of English Muffin bread, but I did get three spanakopita for my breakfast before they were all gone.  I bought two large slices of Judy's delicious lime cake, which I will divide into thinner slices and serve for dessert tomorrow night--assuming I can keep myself from eating any today.  Kevin had a piece of walnut baklava.

On to visit with Suzi and Asinete at the Big Lick Farm stall next door and pick up a dozen fresh eggs.  I stopped by Linnea Marie Farms to say "Hi" to Jim and Joni and pick up the asparagus I had reserved and then made my way to Dang's Gardens for a lovely bouquet of deep purple irises and tulips.  I also bought a bunch of green elephant garlic stalks that will go in the cream of asparagus soup I'm going to make for the first course in tomorrow's dinner.

Lastly, we found Anthony of Oh My Gato farm and his artisan breads.  Anthony keeps expanding his repertoire!  Last year he made mostly ciabatta, sourdough and focaccia,  but today he brought Jalapeno-Cheddar bread, Cranberry-Walnut bread, a rye bread and long baguettes.  He said he'll have croissants and pain au chocolate next week.  We bought a baguette and took photos of the very cool boxes that Patrick Starnes made to hold the fresh loaves.  The slats allow for ventilation when the bread is still warm and the top keeps out coughs, sneezes, and curious fingers.

Anthony will have his work cut out for him trying to bake enough each week to fill the gap left by Lighthouse Bakery's absence from this year's market.  Keep up the good work Anthony!

I passed the market several more times coming and going from baseball practice at Sunshine park and each time the parking lot was full and the vendors were busy.  Yes!!!!  The farmers market has finally caught on in Douglas County.

Popular Posts