Mother's Day Dinner


I combined two bouquets from the farmers market for my Mother's Day centerpiece.  Hom, one of my favorite vendors, saved the first peonies of the season for me.  Can you believe I got all these flowers for ten bucks?  Such a bargain!

My mom has gotten me hooked on peonies; they are one of her favorite flowers, so I knew she'd appreciate these on the table.  I arranged the flowers Saturday night, then on Sunday, my son set the table for dinner and my husband did the cooking while I took a nap.  Mmmmmmm!  He made Spaghetti Bolognese and it was superb.  Did all the dishes, too!

We first had Spaghetti Bolognese in 1992 in the dining room of the miniature hotel we were staying at in Nerja, Spain.  It was our first trip to Europe and after a few days in Madrid and Toledo, we rented a car and drove south to the Costa del Sol.  Our Frommer's Budget Travel Guide led us to the Cala-Bela hotel and for about $28 US dollars per night we got a room with a small patio overlooking the Mediterranean and a secluded cove just steps away.  Yes, it was terribly romantic. 

I would post the recipe, BUT HE WON'T GIVE IT TO ME! He says it's different every time and he has never written it down.  Here's a version from allrecipes.com.   My husband would never use as much olive oil and butter as it calls for and I do know he used prosciutto instead of pancetta and half-n-half in place of milk.  And I'm pretty sure all of the ground meat was beef.  Oh, and there was some white cooking wine in there somewhere.

Definitely a recipe worth trying and tweaking to your own tastes.

Popular Posts