Local Nectarines

Just picked some nectarines at Paris Orchards down Curry Road in Garden Valley. Only 75 cents a pound (weighed and paid for on the honor system, no less) and so easy-to-pick, my daughter had to restrain me from picking more than we can eat. "We can always dry them," I told her, as dried nectarines are delicious and don't need to be peeled like peaches do. I just slice them right onto the dehydrator trays, without bothering to dip them in a lemon juice solution to keep them from discoloring. They make a great snack. I store them in ziploc bags in the freezer.

I was actually after peaches, but was told their u-pick peaches won't be ready for another 2 or 3 weeks. I'm planning to make two Perfect Peach Pies for a pool party this Saturday. I attended a potluck last weekend and disappointed several people (mostly men) by showing up with coleslaw. (Hey, I was assigned to bring a salad!) Apparently, I have a reputation as a piemaker, so I will try to redeem myself.

It was 108 degrees here yesterday, setting a new record, and feels that hot again today. I hope the local crops survive!

Popular Posts