The Word on Walnuts

Okay, so I don't have time to take a photo of them right now (Shhhh!  I am busy constructing a chocolate volcano cake with strawberry syrup lava for my son's birthday tomorrow), but if you are in the market for local walnuts, have I got a deal for you!!!  A friend of mine has a bumper crop this year and just dropped off the 30 pounds I ordered from her. 

Georgie's walnuts, grown in Garden Valley, are the most beautiful, delicious walnuts I have ever had.  If you are accustomed to grocery store walnuts, you will be in for a real treat when you try these.  Fresh walnuts are not at all oily or greasy (or rancid.)  Shelled walnuts store wonderfully in the freezer all year long. 

Last year the local walnut crop was dismal.  I am not taking any chances this year.  In addition to Georgie's thirty pounds of shelled walnuts, I bought 50 pounds of cracked walnuts from my friend, Rusdee, and another 50 pounds uncracked, still in the shell from Brosi's Sugartree Farms in Winston.  Overkill, I know, but my husband and I each eat at least a handful of walnuts every day, plus I use them in my baking.

Anyway, if you are in need of walnuts, Georgie still has some for sale.  She researched all the grocery stores, including Costco and set her price at the extremely reasonable rate of $5/pound for halves, pieces, or small to medium whole walnuts.  (Costco is the only store close at $4.99/lb when you buy a 3-pound bag for $14.99 and I guarantee you they are not this fresh.)  If you are into candymaking, she also has large and extra-large whole walnuts for $6/lb. and $7/pound.  Perfect for Maple-Covered Walnuts.

They won't last long, so call Georgie at 541-673-2321 if you'd like to stock up.  Don't forget to tell her Jennifer sent you her way!

Popular Posts