Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Local Nectarines

Just picked some nectarines at Paris Orchards down Curry Road in Garden Valley. Only 75 cents a pound (weighed and paid for on the honor system, no less) and so easy-to-pick, my daughter had to restrain me from picking more than we can eat. "We can always dry them," I told her, as dried nectarines are delicious and don't need to be peeled like peaches do. I just slice them right onto the dehydrator trays, without bothering to dip them in a lemon juice solution to keep them from discoloring. They make a great snack. I store them in ziploc bags in the freezer.

I was actually after peaches, but was told their u-pick peaches won't be ready for another 2 or 3 weeks. I'm planning to make two Perfect Peach Pies for a pool party this Saturday. I attended a potluck last weekend and disappointed several people (mostly men) by showing up with coleslaw. (Hey, I was assigned to bring a salad!) Apparently, I have a reputation as a piemaker, so I will try to redeem myself.

It was 108 degrees here yesterday, setting a new record, and feels that hot again today. I hope the local crops survive!

2 comments:

Geoff said...

It's been over 100 for the past two weeks here in Fresno, CA Our peach and nectarine trees have been great. The higher temps actually help the tree get more sugars into the fruit.

Jennifer--flavorsoftheumpqua said...

That is great news! So far, the peaches and nectarines have been absolutely delicious. My two peach pies are in the oven right now.

Printfriendly