Death By Chocolate Cookies





I tore this recipe out of a magazine years ago.  I don't think the folks at Baker's Chocolate will mind if I pass it along.  See my notes at the bottom for substitutions and changes I made. 

Baker's One Bowl
Death By Chocolate Cookies

2 pkg. (16) squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, divided
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon CALUMET Baking Powder
2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

HEAT oven to 350 degrees F.  Coarsely chop 8 squares (1 pkg.) of the chocolate; set aside.  MICROWAVE remaining 8 squares chocolate in large microwavable bowl on HUGH 1-2 minutes.  Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.  Stir in sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla.  Stir in flour and baking powder.  Stir in reserved chopped chocolate and nuts.  Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.  BAKE 12 to 13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and feel set to the touch.  Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute.  Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies.

My version:  I didn't have any Baker's chocolate today.  I used about a bag and a half of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (no chopping required).  I weighed them out so I had 16 ounces to start with. I always use dark brown sugar.  It helps to have the butter at room temperature.  You don't use a mixer, just stir it all together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.  I use Clabber Girl or Rumford baking powder.  I used coarsely chopped pecans today.  I don't make the cookies as big as they say.  I used my regular cookie scoop but heaped the dough up--maybe 2 tablespoons worth.  I baked mine at 325 pure convection for 11 minutes on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  I got about 3 1/2 dozen, not counting the snitches of cookie dough I ate (I know, I know, I'm not supposed to do that!).

Enjoy!

Popular Posts