Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tea Time

With the sun finally starting to show itself for more than an hour or two, it's time to switch from my morning cup of cocoa to something ice-cold and refreshing. My favorite warm weather drinks include San Pellegrino mineral water, homemade raspberry lemonade, and iced tea.

I grew up drinking Lipton's iced tea or my grandmother's "sweet tea" which is mostly sugar. These days, I prefer a lightly sweetened caffeine-free version ( I use Sucanat, local honey, or stevia) to quench my summertime thirst.

I have tried making my own herbal iced tea using mint from my garden, but it just never tasted like "real" iced tea. I discovered this variety at Fred Meyer a few years ago and it's now my number one choice. It tastes just like black tea, either hot or cold, but it is a naturally caffeine-free (not decaffeinated) blend of herbs. They don't normally stock it anymore, but I have them special-order a case of it every spring when the weather finally warms up.

Directions are on the box. I pour 4 cups of boiling water over 8 tea bags in the 2-quart pitcher, add sweetener to taste, let steep 15 minutes, then add 4 cups cold water and refrigerate it overnight.

No comments:

Printfriendly