Farmers Market Opens This Weekend!

I'm baaaack! My winter hiatus is over and I can't wait for the opening of the Umpqua Valley Farmers Market this Saturday.

If the sun would just stay out for more than a few hours, I might actually be able to get out and dig in my garden. I planted some peas in March and they were none too pleased to be hailed on a while back. At least the strawberry plants from last year are looking well.

So what have I been doing the last three months? We added on a laundry room/food storage/canning kitchen to the back of our house, with a guest room/ping pong table room up above. My dad, my husband, my father-in-law, and I have been finishing the inside. I have spent much time filling nail holes with drywall mud, tried my hand at mudding some seams (which is actually similar to frosting a cake), and even did a tiny bit of texturing. Mostly I run to the store for more mud, screws, etc.

I painted the entire new laundry/kitchen area all by myself and quite enjoyed the project. "Belgian Waffle" is the color I chose and it's like walking into a room full of sunshine-exactly what this California girl wanted. Eventually (as soon as I finish the floor) this room will be home to my extra set of double ovens, my food dehydrator, my extra Bosch mixer, my wheat grinder, the extra refrigerator, the big freezer and all the buckets of different kinds of wheat berries, oats, sugar, honey, dried beans, etc. that are in the garage, along with shelves for my full (and empty) canning jars.

Food has definitely been on my mind, as I am busy planning the details of the buffet dinner for my oldest daughter's wedding reception. I agreed to do the food if it meant I could get out of anything having to do with decorations. I'm sure there will be postings along the way to June 19th! Wish me luck.

Anyway, for anyone who might have wondered if I fell off the face of the planet, I did not. I'm sure the farmers market and fresh spring crops will bring new inspiration for cooking, baking, and eating well. Be sure to say "Hi" when you see me at the market.

Popular Posts