Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Power Bread fresh from the oven

I decided to stay home and bake a batch of Power Bread today. This is a white flour bread, full of ground raisins, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds with a touch of honey and no added fats. (The recipe only calls for flax and sunflower seeds, but I like to substitute pumpkin seeds for half of the sunflower seeds.) It was a big seller when I baked for the Umpqua Valley Farmers Market and is one of my husband's favorites.

I scaled the recipe up to make five loaves (it freezes well); four standard pan loaves and one oval loaf baked in a Pampered Chef stoneware baker, using the Dutch oven method. Because it contains honey, the crust browned more quickly than a country french or sourdough loaf would, so I reduced the heat to 325 degrees when I removed the cover and only baked it for an additional 10 minutes.

I just had a slice with butter and it's incredibly good, if I do say so myself. It will be great with our simple dinner of black beans and brown rice, topped with salsa and sour cream, and a nice green salad.

3 comments:

Pink Posts said...

Hmmm, sounds good. Have you ever tried Cafe Yum? It's a Eugene thing. But you can buy their Cafe Yum sauce. You mix it in with the black beans and brown rice, with whatever else you want in it, like tomatoes, olives, avocado, sour cream, salsa, etc. It is really good!

Jennifer--flavorsoftheumpqua said...

Yes, I have. I have bought their sauce at Sherm's (in the refrigerated case by the health foods). I like to brown chicken breasts with some veggies in a bit of butter or oil and then pour Yumm! sauce (original) over the top and simmer until the chicken is tender.

Definitely Yummy!

Pink Posts said...

I'll have to tell my daughter about that! She's the one that introduced me to Yumm! sauce. (proper spelling ;)
We looked for it at Fred Meyers and Sherms and couldn't find it. Have you bought it at Sherm's lately? I'll have to look again.

Printfriendly