Bakeries and Bookstores

We spent the weekend in Portland, bakery-hopping and bookstore-browsing. We started off Saturday morning with brunch at the St. Honore Boulangerie off 23rd in the Nob Hill District. Friends had recommended it and we were not disappointed! It was bustling with locals, several speaking French (a good sign). The bread and pastries were beautiful to behold and you can sit right up at the counter watching one of the bakers shaping the loaves and loading and unloading the brick oven.

I ordered a smooth and creamy cup of cocoa (above) and then this savory tartiflette--puff pastry topped with potato, brie and bacon. I also bought a mini Pain au Chocolate and a mini Chausson aux Pommes for afternoon snacking.

Next we headed to Pearl Bakery at 9th and Couch in the Pearl District because I needed a new "Eat Bread." tee-shirt, as I had worn the last one out. I couldn't resist adding one of their Fig-Anise Panini to my snack stash.

We walked over to Powell's for just a quick look and I noticed that The Paley's Place Cookbook was on sale at 30% off. Chef Vitaly Paley of Portland is coming to Roseburg in April to teach a Cooking for Charity class. Of course, I had to buy the book so I can have him sign it for me if I take the class--well, I have to take the class now, my husband says!

We checked out Cameron's Books in Old Town and then stopped in at one of our favorite bakeries, Ken's Artisan Bakery on the corner of 21st and Flanders. We split a bowl of granola and then spent some time perusing the collection at Daedalus Books next door.

We had a great dinner at a new Indian Restaurant called Indish, but that's another post...






Popular Posts