Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Sutherlin Winter Farmer's Market

I just returned from my first trip to the Sutherlin Farmer's Market (currently located inside North County News at 222 W. Central) which is open from 2 to 5:30 on Wednesdays. I bought two heads of baby lettuce and some beets from Lighthouse Center Organics, a loaf of Seeded Bread from Tyee Mountain Bakery, assorted truffles and chocolates from Arrow's Delight (more on that later) and a wedge of handmade Greek Baklava from The Baklava Lady.

I chose the Walnut Baklava, but there are several other varieties available: cashew, almond, hazelnut, cranberry-walnut and mixed-berry walnut. I was told it keeps for six weeks at room temperature, but it didn't last ten minutes after I got it home! Honestly, I have never been a huge fan of baklava. Most restaurant versions I have tried are just too sweet. But this, this is wonderful! Nuts and honey in a flaky phyllo pastry--I can dream of a sunny island in the Mediterranean even though it's wet and gray out my window.

Made right here in Douglas County, The Baklava Lady ships 3 lb. boxes of baklava all over the world. But you can get it right here in Sutherlin and soon at the Umpqua Valley Farmer's Market opening April 12.

2 comments:

brown eyed girl said...

Six weeks, huh? I'll be home in almost six weeks...:)...wouldn't that be a nice surprise...haha...or we could just go there together.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
We live west of Sutherlin and wanted to know if we can sell our fresh eggs at the Farmers Market in Sutherlin. We give them to the Pantry now, but do need to start making money for them.
Yvonne & Roger
(541) 459-2206

Printfriendly