The Sutherlin Winter Farmer's Market

I just returned from my first trip to the Sutherlin Farmer's Market (currently located inside North County News at 222 W. Central) which is open from 2 to 5:30 on Wednesdays. I bought two heads of baby lettuce and some beets from Lighthouse Center Organics, a loaf of Seeded Bread from Tyee Mountain Bakery, assorted truffles and chocolates from Arrow's Delight (more on that later) and a wedge of handmade Greek Baklava from The Baklava Lady.

I chose the Walnut Baklava, but there are several other varieties available: cashew, almond, hazelnut, cranberry-walnut and mixed-berry walnut. I was told it keeps for six weeks at room temperature, but it didn't last ten minutes after I got it home! Honestly, I have never been a huge fan of baklava. Most restaurant versions I have tried are just too sweet. But this, this is wonderful! Nuts and honey in a flaky phyllo pastry--I can dream of a sunny island in the Mediterranean even though it's wet and gray out my window.

Made right here in Douglas County, The Baklava Lady ships 3 lb. boxes of baklava all over the world. But you can get it right here in Sutherlin and soon at the Umpqua Valley Farmer's Market opening April 12.

Popular Posts